Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dude, U - gly

Well, so much for a new conference. Common sense prevailed and Nebraska isn't as important as ensuring that football will be able to fund Texas sports for years to come. Instead, conference realignment has hit a little closer to home...

My parents, siblings and every one of my siblings-in-law went to BYU. I made my best friends at BYU schools (with the exception of my wonderful wife...love you babe). Many of my mentorish figures growing up were BYU-grads. I attended BYU, went to football games, was employed by BYU. I wouldn't have my current job without BYU.

I made it through all of that without detesting the University of Utah. They are the Duke to BYU's Carolina, the Ohio St to BYU's inner Michigan. Yet I've maintained a healthy respect. I don't get carried away. My grandparents graduated Utes, so did my father-in-law. But I have to honest; at this point, I hope the Utes never win another sporting event--ever.

The Mountain West Conference has always battled to get in with the big boys, but has always been "Bo-diddly Tech" to the Bryant Gumbles of the world (jerk).

TCU has made the MWC more relevant in recent years, and together with BYU and Utah, have made some noise for the BCS to consider. Boise St and Utah have proved themselves in their BCS bids in recent years. Miraculously, Boise St joined the MWC this month, making it a 4-relevant-team conference, which is nearly as good as the Pac-10 and Big Ten lately, and surely comparable to the Big East.

How does Utah respond?
Like Elton Brand to Baron Davis. Rather than staying, and enjoying the boost to the MWC, they pack up for the Pac-friggin-10 and leave the Mountain West essentially where it was before Boise St arrived. I understand the Pac-10 will give you a nice share of whatever TV deal it has, but didn't you want to see what would have happened?! Yes you would have had to play on blue turf every year, but wouldn't making the MWC a serious conference been good for college football?

I guess not, Benedict Arnold! Hope you go 1-10!

4 comments:

*Meg Larsen* said...

of course, it will make BYU look better when Utah is at the top of the Pac-10 and we beat them...

but I see your point. Besides, why would anyone want to be in the Pac10 right now?

Anonymous said...

Btw, it's THE Ohio State :)
Love, your Aunt Jeanni, in Phoenix by way of Ohio . . .
p.s. As an official Anywhere-but-BYU student, I think the U joining the pac, while disappointing, is logical self-interest. What I'm unhappy about is I see this as a big setback for revamping the whole BCS exclusivity garbage.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

um excuse me.. your WIFE did not go to BYU.... so before you jump on the BYU praise wagon, just remember THAT!

Neal! said...

Noted. See revision to paragraph 2. Love you!